Tuesday, May 23, 2006

Full of Wonder

“Mom, I want to celebrate Grandma and Grandpa’s 50th anniversary again. It was so much fun.”

“But Lindsay, their next anniversary will be their 52nd.”

“How long have you and Daddy been married?”

“Seventeen years.” Then I explained to her that our 25th anniversary would be very special.

“How far away is that, Mom?”

“Take 17 from 25 and what do you get?”

“Mmmm…eight.”

“So how old will you be in 8 years, Lindsay”

“Mmmm…15 years old. But how old will Brooke be, Mom?”

“How old is she now? Just add eight years.”

“Mmmm…she’ll be 21 years old.”

There was silence in the back seat as she processed the data.

“Mom, when you’re seven years old, you have a lot to wonder about!”


I wonder a lot, too, I thought, smiling. I wonder what it will be like to have a child entering middle school while the other finishes high school. I wonder what it will be like to turn 60 with my youngest in college. I wonder how my two girls could be so different from each other and if I am up to the challenge of guiding them on their seemly disparate paths. I wonder when I will be able to be in the same room with both girls at the same time and actually enjoy the experience. I wonder if they will love each other and stay close when we are child-like again and they are the decision makers, or when they are all each other has.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home